Friday, November 7, 2014

When I butted the football stadium

It was late summer or early fall of 1963; I was visiting the Homer High football stadium, carrying my   Speed Graphic, to take pictures of the Homer Pelican football team for the game  program and the Guardian-Journal.

I entered the lobby and began to walk up an incline to reach the seated area when a blow to the top of my head knocked me to the floor.The gate that admitted fans to the stadium seating was only partly open and I had run into it. I managed to get up and entered the coach's office.  Blood began to pour down my face and a player said, "It looks like your head is wide open."  Coach asked me if I wanted to take pictures first or go see the doctor first.

I chose to see the doctor,  who shaved much of my head  and closed the wound with 12 stitches.  It was no big deal except my Minden High class of  1943 was having its 20-year re-union (we did not have a 10-year reunion) and I was meeting classmates for the first time in 20 years with my head shaved and bandaged.  It didn't stop me from attending  an LSU game in Baton Rouge.









t




No comments:

Post a Comment