Thursday, November 20, 2014

Remembering cold as a youngster

Cold weather arrived a little earlier than  usual, all caused by global warning according to Obama, Al Gore and their friends. We are fortunate to escape the snow and the cold  that has hit much of the nation.

Thinking back to my childhood and cold, I seem to remember that in winter I was warm only during the hours I slept in a feather bed.  Early in the morning my siblings and I would dress just enough to be decent and rush to the fireplace to cook one side from the blaze and then the other.

In my early years I rode a school bus that  had curtains instead of windows.  I still shiver as I remember one day, especially.  Official temperature was around zero and cold air came through  not only  the windows but through holes in the floor.

Arrival at school  was no relief; doors would not open early and when we were allowed into the class rooms, the only heat came from steam heaters.  We were blessed if those heaters were warm by the end of the school day.

No comments:

Post a Comment