Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Invaded by polistes carolina

Polistes carolina are a big problem this summer. They have built nests over the front door, the back door, and eaves of the house. Several people have told me they are having infestations also, and at least one family has called on professional help.

You say you aren't familiar with  polistes carolina? Well, that's what we scientific minded people call them. You may know them as big red wasps.

All joking aside there seems to be a huge crop of them  They are supposed to favor building in wooded areas, but my experience is they prefer houses.

I have had a lot of experiences with red wasps, none of them pleasent. I was stung so many times I developed an allergy such as if I'm stung I quickly swell, including  my eyes shut and I'm blinded.

Years ago while doing census work I went to the door of a house and rang the doorbell.  The resident came out another door and told me they did not use the door I had gone to, pointing  to a huge nest of red wasps, all of whom were staring at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment