Friday, July 25, 2014

Brother Jon and fresh vegetables

My brother Jon visited me this afternoon bringing with him much  appreciated fresh vegetables, especially tomatoes.  He offered me some figs but I refused because I don't think I'm able to make preserves.

We visited for quite awhile and discussed many things, including the War Between the States and the part our grandfather and Great Grandfather served. We agreed we would liked to have had more information from our father and other relatives.

We discussed crops, including but not limited to, cotton, corn, soybeans and Coastal Bermudagrass; insects, including but not limited to, boll weevils, fire ants, ticks and stinkbugs.  We remembered that we always had a goal of ripe watermelon by July 4, and we would never forget when we had a fine watermelon  patch only to discover the melons were citrons and  not edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment