Monday, April 7, 2014

Moonshining long ago

We were searching for a cow that had broken the fence and wandered off when we passed by the rear of a shed and ran up on a strange collection of machinery. "What the heck is that," I asked.   "The remains of a still,:" Daddy answered.  The family that lived there had been our neighbors for years and had
 operated a small farm. Among other thoughts,  I wondered if our friends knew their dad had a still..

Making whiskey was nothing new in the community, but I was surprised and somewhat shocked.  The federal government  appeared to rate making untaxed liquor a worse crime than murder.  Most people I knew didn't look at it that way.

I was a fairly small boy when I heard some men at church laughing about a neighbor who had been tricked by a federal agent in to exposing his operation.  The fed praised his operation so much the moonshiner said, "You think that's something; let me just show you what I've got."  He then  revealed his entire stock of moonshine and lost it all.

I don't recall how the whiskey maker fared in court  if it ever got that far.





No comments:

Post a Comment