Friday, April 25, 2014

I cause Saipan to be put on alert

The battle for Okinawa  waged fiercely with many casualties daily, including native Okinawans as well as Americans and Japanese.  USS Pickens, no longer able to contribute, returned to Saipan. I think it was during this time that I caused forces on the islands and every ship to be put on alert.

I was not on duty but I walked into the radar shack and turned on the surface search radar.  I picked up a plane heading slowly our way.  I flipped the switch for IFF and saw the plane had no identification. I assumed the plane was returning from a bomb run over Tokyo where it had been damaged.  Still, it was my duty to report it and let some one above me decide what action to take.

Immediately, General Quarters was sounded and everyone, on land and ship, had to man battle stations. The plane continued toward us and was identified as powerful lights were turned on, showing a damaged B-29.

No comments:

Post a Comment