Saturday, April 19, 2014

Fun with the parking meter reader

A year two after the end of World War 11,  Homer joined many other small towns in installing parking meters in their downtown business district. In Homer that was the court house square. 

Some people didn't take to the meters happily; in fact the meter reader often was the victim of anger from the unfortunates who were ticketed.  On many occasions the response was more fun than anger.  Such was the case of some elderly men, mostly retired farmers, who hung out at a corner drug store.

One  day after a ticket had been issued. the victim, a retired farmer, tossed a bale of hay in front of the meter man and said, "Here, I've paid my fine."  The meter reader  responded, "What can I do with a bale of hay?  I don't have a horse and I don't have any  cows."

The farmer said, "I expect you to eat it, you damned ass."

No comments:

Post a Comment