Friday, March 7, 2014

Iwo Jima memories from 69 yers ago

When my thoughts turn to Iwo Jima 69 years ago, memories of three events stand out. Of course,  one is observing the American flag go up on Mt. Suribachi, go down and be raised again. We had no idea at the time that Joseph Rosenthal's picture of the flag raising would become famous.

I will always remember a conversation I had with a young Marine who would see his first action.  He told me "They (military leaders) have given us five days to take the island, but we are fired up and I think we'll take it in three days."  I always wonder how he fared.

We were in the radar shack listening to the TBS when we heard a pilot   screaming," I'm hit! I"m shot. I'm on the way down!"

The war became very real to us at that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment