Monday, March 3, 2014

I retain part of my mind

As we sang "Heavenly Sunshine" in church Sunday, my mind, as it always does at this hymn, goes  back to  the time  I was in boot camp and  attended the Old Fashioned Revival Hour in the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium.  I accompanied a fellow boot camper whose parents listened to this national program on radio and urged their son to  take advantage of the opportunity.  This song was sung as those attending greeted  each other with hand shakes and hugs. 

Until today I have been confused and wondered it I had lost my mind because when I looked up the song I found that it was first presented in 1950, several years later than my visit.  The confusion is because one word was changed --sunshine to sunlight. Two Methodist ministers cooperated to create the original song some 100 years ago.  It is included in many hymnals and is widely sung today.  The revival hour began in 1937 by Charles E. Fuller and continued until his death in 1968.

Writers of the song were H. J. Zelley and Charles H. Cooke, who wrote 1500 songs.                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment