Friday, February 14, 2014

Memories of Iwo Jima

I don't know about others, but as we steamed toward Iwo Jima, we often listened to Tokyo Rose.  She kept giving us dates for the invasion, the last being February 12 until she gave the correct date of February 19.  Her warning that  the Japanese would fight fiercely and we would suffer high casualties became true.

This was not the first island invasion by the Third Division, but it was the first for some of the Marines. I will not forget the young Marine who told me they were "fired up" and would need only  a few days to take the island.

On board our ship was Joseph Rosenthal, a photographer who took the famous picture of the flag raising on Mt. Suribachi.  I was not aware he was on board, had never heard of him, and never met him. I did see the flag go up, come down, and go up again.  

1 comment:

  1. Roy, See my comment a couple of days ago.
    John White
    jwhitegear@cox.net

    ReplyDelete