Monday, February 17, 2014

A personal message to John White

John, it is really good to hear from you and I hope  you and
your family enjoyed the holidays and are looking for good things to happen this year.

I am responding to you this way because I am having computer problems.  I have looked for your message on email  but have been unable to find it.

Yes, I remember the chaplain, with one thing still sharp in my mind.  We were approaching San Francisco after eleven months in the South Pacific, including Iwo Jima and Okinawa batttles, when the captain ordered everyone to get a boot camp hair cut.  He supported this by quoting from the bible, "Does not nature teach you that long hair is an  abomination to a man?" The chaplain protested this and drew the captain's ire.

John, you have been wonderful in providing information and material to Pickens shipmates and their families. I wish veterans and their relatives would let us all enjoy their memories, especially Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Roy.
    It's really been pleasure to share info with everyone who has shown interest.
    I'm just fortunate that my Dad wrote and cataloged so much information and that it survived all these years for me to copy.
    Most of the interested parties connect to me because of your blog so the big thanks really goes to you.
    Glad we connected and got to have all this in common.
    John

    ReplyDelete