Monday, January 13, 2014

O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer's praise

"O for a thousand tongues to sing/ My great Redeemer's praise/
The glories of my God and King/  The triumphs of his  grace!"

We sang this great hymn in church Sunday, the first time in several months. At that time I commented on the song and put it on this blog.  It was included in those eliminated.

Why the hymn was included in our worship, I do not  know but it was quite a coincidence because I have been studying Charles Wesley, who wrote this hymn among the 9,989 he produced.  That is ten times those written by Isaac Watts, Wesley's only challenger for greatest hymn writer of all time.

Sometimes Charles is forgotten as important along with brother John in founding Methodism.  Without his hymns,  Methodism might have been less successful..

          "He breaks the power of canceled sin/ He sets the prisoners free/
          His blood can make the  foulest  clean/ His blood availed for me/"

No comments:

Post a Comment