Thursday, January 16, 2014

Let me hear from you

How rapidly time can pass sometimes!  I was looking at my blog for January  a year ago and saw where a year previously, Bettty Tippins, had written me about her father R, T. Tippins, who was a shipmate on the Pickens. I want to take this  time to wish shipmates and their families a wonderful 2014.  I would like to hear from any and all of you.

I was reminded that this time in 1945 we were headed to Saipan from where we would proceed to attack Iwo Jima.  For several weeks we had been training, practicing, rehearsing with units of Marines tor the invasion.

The Pickens became proficient in getting the boats into the water, taking on the Marines and landing them on a Hawaiian island, the name of which I can't recall.

The invasion to come was no secret.  Tokyo Rose kept giving us dates for the attack, finally getting it right.

Again, I'm interested in how all of you are faring.

No comments:

Post a Comment