Friday, January 31, 2014

Buying a candy bar during the depression

This must have taken place during the early years of the Great  Depression.  We  had hauled a load of cotton to the gin and my brother Jesse and I were nearby as the cotton was unloaded.  Someone gave us a penny each and my brother, who was three years younger than I, headed for the little country store.  Jesse didn't know the value of any coin, but he knew money could buy candy.

He walked into the store, pointed to a nickel candy bar and laid his penny on the counter.  The lady clerk  hesitated but my brother was already removing the paper from the candy,  I knew you did not buy a five-cent candy bar for a penny,  "I'll add this," I said, giving the clerk my penny,  She said "I guess that will be all right."

I wish I could say her generosity was rewarded, but people had no money and bought on credit.  When time came to pay they still had no money so the store, like many  others, went broke and closed.

Did I get any of the candy bar?   I do not remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment