Monday, November 11, 2013

A salute to World War I veterans

As a veteran of World War II I want to take advantage of Veteran's Day  to recognize how much I owe to World War I veterans.  I am happy that veterans of unpopular wars in the Mideast  are shown appreciation and     have their needs addressed.  That was not how veterans of World War I were treated.  Those warriors thought they could re-enter civilian life; it didn't work that way.

Many suffered from the effects of poison gas, but their needs were ignored.   They thought the jobs they had when they donned the uniform would await them; they were wrong.  Ill and out of work, they hoped a promised bonus would ease their pain; they marched to Washington only be beaten and  shot.

When the second world war drew to a close, those mistreated veterans determined that World War II veterans would be treated differently.  They pounded Congress and took advantage of public relations to propose and get enacted the GI Bill. Each veteran was accorded a college education if he wanted it; The vet could take advantage of up to 52 weeks at 20 dollars a week while he sought employment. The VA was ordered to meet the medical needs of sick and wounded veterans.

I benefited from the GI Ball, obtaining a college education I could not have enjoyed  otherwise. Millions have benefited, all because World War I veterans fought for them.





No comments:

Post a Comment