Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pickens goes to Japan

For most of my life after serving in the navy, I made no effort to refresh my memories of events, but as my time slips away, I review  the booklet, "The Story of the Pickens," about once a year.  A few things I remember, others that are mentioned are almost strange to me.

For example, I know that on August 23 or 24 we took on the Blackhawk Division and  transported them to the Philippines to occupy those islands.  We took on board the troops that had occupied the islands and took them to Japan.  I know this,yet I have no memory at all of going ashore in the Philippines.  We left there with accompanying ships and went to Wakanoura Wan, for all appearances a small, dirty village.  I don't know whether it was there or at Nagoya that a typhoon hit.  Most of the ships sailed out to sea to ride out the typhoon.

I'll have more to say about this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment