Thursday, August 15, 2013

Elegy written in a country churchyard

No, I have not written an elegy, but I was remembering some of the visits I made to country cemeteries.  I wonder if some one is maintaining the one at former Bethlehem Methodist Church. I was just a child and got a great sense of being part of history when I saw a birthday of 1812 on  a tombstone.

I wonder if some of these country churchyards  still have "cemetery workings" each year along with dinner on the grounds.  I don't think I was yet a teenager when I accompanied my dad to help clean off the cemetery adjacent to Antioch Baptist Church.

My experience at digging a grave was at  the same cemetery.  Why we were  doing it I don't know, because it wasn't for a relative.  Years later we did prepare a grave for a kinsman, an aunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment