Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Atom bomb dropped August 6, 1945, while we are in San Francisco

Sixty-eight years ago, August 6, 1945, the atom bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.  My  memory may be faulty, but I don't remember  that we were thinking that this would result in Japan surrendering and making an invasion unnecessary.guys 

Our ship, the Pickens, had arrived in San Francisco three days before.  Some guys  had gone on liberty and it was being arranged for some shipmates to be considered for leaves of six or twelve days.  I was pleading my case for a leave but was told I only qualified for six days and I lived too far from San Francisco to get home and back in that amount of time. 

Instead of a leave, I was soon standing double watches, 16 hours day and night, taking over the duties of those who got leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment