Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pickens, APA 190, nears San Francisco

July 31, 1945.  The USS Pickens had been traveling for weeks from Saipan, destination San Francisco.  We had learned that we were to pick up troops to take part in an invasion of Japan, hopefully to end the war with victory.  In our briefings we were told that the US Navy expected 50 per cent casualties, but after 11 months in the South Pacific, our thoughts were on liberty and hopefully a few days of leave.

(For several decades after my discharge from the navy, I gave little if any thought to my service.  After beginning this blog several years ago, I have managed to locate a few others who served on the Pickens, plus family members of others.  I would like to hear from any former shipmate or their family members.)



No comments:

Post a Comment