Monday, July 15, 2013

A friend of mine was fond of saying "Homer is full of odd balls, misfits and malfunctions."  (He included himself and me in that group.)  Good times or bad, many of us found humor in almost anything.

One  who would most definitely fit into that group was my  friend Ulric Fomby of Fomby Hardware. I was surprised when I learned that Ulric was a graduate of West Point.  One of his classmates was famed general Albert Wedemeyer.  While visiting Ulric one day, he mentioned that he was writing the general as follows: "I hear you wrote a book; send me a copy."

The book was "Wedemeyer Reports,"  a book I was anxious to read, knowing something about Wedemeyer's experience with China and his role in World War II.  I told Ulric to ask him to send me one but, of course, I would pay for it.  Soon I received an autographed copy.

If you find time,  read a little about his career, especially his battle against communism.  President Ronald Reagan awarded Wedemeyer the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1985.


( Talk about coincidence.  I write about General Wedemeyer, go back to my computer several hours later and see that a book has just been published, entitled "General Albert C. Wedemeyer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment