Monday, June 17, 2013

A Father's Day story

Yes, I know Father's Day was yesterday, but this story is not really about Father's Day.

I brought home a history test (could have been third grade of maybe fifth grade), anyway the test had 10 questions and all my answers were marked correct, giving me a score of 100 and an "A" grade.  My dad looked at the paper and said, "This is wrong; Patrick Henry said "give me liberty or give me death," not James Otis.  And you have Patrick Henry saying "Taxation without representation is tyranny."

Dad took a pencil and made big black X's on those incorrect answers and told me I would have to show them to  the teacher.  That hurt, I knew the teacher would change my grade to "C" but she would not be pleased that she was caught in a mistake.

Why wasn't one of the questions Nathan Hale's cry, "I  regret that I have but one life to give for my country."  I have never forgotten that challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment