Saturday, May 4, 2013

"One man likes to push a plough--"

A high school girl is not only expelled but  arrested for making a bottle smoke in science  class ; a high school track team is disqualified after winning a relay because a member pointed to the sky -- just two incidents of many crazy over re-actions by school officials nearly everywhere.  Makes me think that maybe my teachers won't so bad.

Which brings to mind Miss Smith.  She was possibly the best teacher in the school although many would disagree.  Note, I didn't say best liked.  She said nice things to and about me in a geography class, commenting that I had a wide range of knowledge. But in typing she constantly found fault with me. Once she said, "You are here to type; you're not pushing  a plow."  One boy spoke up, "That's all you know; you don't push a plow -- the mule pulls it."  His support didn't help me.

Miss Smith could walk into a classroom and all talking would cease immediately.  She could look at you, not say a word, and you would shrink down in your chair.

She had high academic standards.  One of my sisters was taking shorthand at 120 words a minute and that wasn't good enough for an  "A."  My sister was competing for honors and the stress gave her shingles. Most girls competing for top grades avoided classes taught by Miss Smith. Still, it was a mark of honor to say "I survived Miss Smith."

No comments:

Post a Comment