Monday, May 13, 2013

And there on the fence

The only ads I read are for groceries because I'm not buying, but   I was caught on an ad showing a young girl wearing jean shorts that appeared to be wrinkled, dirty and badly worn. I guess they are the style; Japanese once were paying big money for worn, faded and holey jeans.

Poor as we were I never wore pants with holes to school -- patched, yes.  And I always had a nice pair to wear to church.  And that brings to mind a tale.

Verses to Issac Watts' great hymn "Alas and did my Savior bleed" were changed --drastically -- but sung to the same music.   I remember very little of it but one verse included these words "there on the fence where I tore my Sunday pants and the burden on my heart rolled away."  I tried to jump a barbed wire fence while wearing my Sunday pants and, yes, tore my Sunday pants.  Thankfully, I can't recall the punishment  that followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment