Thursday, April 25, 2013

Anniversaries -- celebrated or not

A year ago I questioned the lack of a celebration of the 200th anniversary of Louisiana joining the union April 30, 1812.  Thinking about this I spared some thought of some other anniversaries.  For example, as a l0-year-old I attended a ceremony in 1934 that recognized Shreveport's 100th year.  At this date the only remembrance I have of that  is some supposedly Indians dancing around a fire.  Did Shreveport observe its l50th birthday in 1984?  If we did I don't recall it.

When I went to Homer in January, 1950, there was talk of some kind of observance of its founding in 1850, but nothing was done.  Did Homer mark its 150th birthday in 2000?

One anniversary I remember because I wrote an editorial celebrating it  -- the 75th birthday of the Homer newspaper the Guardian-Journal, which started in 1876. Was note made of its l00th year, I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment