Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A dot away from perfection

How I was persuaded to take on the position of proof reader of the Daily Reville and how many months I did that thankless job, I don't remember.  I can recall  at times working late at night and going our for breakfast in the early morning.  I held other positions on the paper, such as staff writer and news editor that sometimes earned praise and recognition, but the lowly job of proof reader required more dedication than any of them.

While the proof reader was responsible to find and correct typographical errors, I didn't limit myself and often corrected grammar and spelling in news articles that the news editor had missed.  This resulted in me putting in more hours with the newspaper than anyone else.

As I said, I don't remember much about this experience but I have a very clear memory of what Frank Price, faculty adviser to the newspaper, said after checking the first paper I had proof read.  He could find only a 10-point period where it should have been 8-point.  Understand, he was reading the newspaper while I had read galley proofs.

Price jokingly asked, "Didn't that wrong font  period leap off the page at you?"  I responded, "No, it lay there quietly for me."








No comments:

Post a Comment