Monday, March 25, 2013

When 15 cents meant more than money

When I attended LSU years ago, I got rides home with other students and sometimes took the train, but most of my trips from Baton Rouge were by hitch hiking. I've talked about some of my experiences, some good and some not so good.

Almost always I found rides easier to get on Highway 7l to Shreveport and on Highway 80  east.  Once, and only once, I found myself leaving Alexandria on Highway 167.  As expected, rides were difficult to get but finally late at night I reached Minden.  I entered the bus station and asked for a ticket to McIntyre.  The lady tore off the ticket, handed it to me and said "15 cents."  I searched my pockets and could not find even one cent.  I have no inkling why I was traveling without any money but I gave the lady an embarrassed smile, handed the ticket back, picked up my bag, and left the bus station.

While walking down the hill toward Highway 80 and thinking I would probably have to walk five miles to reach home, I heard the sound of someone in high heels running after me and calling "wait, wait."  I stopped, turned around and saw the lady from the bus station.  She handed me the ticket and said, "Don't ever say I never gave you anything."

Random acts of  kindness are not something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment