Monday, February 4, 2013

"He's pretty good"

The pastor and his family were visiting my uncle and aunt and their family this Sunday afternoon when I joined them on the front porch.  Some were talking as they visited and others were playing games like Chinese checkers and dominoes.

The pastor's six-year-old son challenged me to a game of dominoes.  When I appeared doubtful (he had not even started school) his mother smiled at me and said, "He's pretty good."  As we played the child amazed me -- he was quick to call out when he scored, and he scored more than I did. The game was close but I lost.  His mother looked at me and said, "I told you, he's pretty good."

During the time this minister was our pastor, he told about overhearing a church official say this about him, "I don't know why Rex entered the ministry.  He can't preach and he can't sing."   Rex said he wanted to turn and say, "There's more to being a pastor than preaching and singing."








No comments:

Post a Comment