Thursday, February 7, 2013

Concerning New Orleans schools

Complaints about public schools in New Orleans are not new.  As everywhere, some schools are better than others. Let me tell you about an experience I had when I was just beginning at LSU.  A group of us were staying in a barracks at Harding Field because there was no available dorms on the campus.  We had registered and been to one day of classes, including English, where we  had been assigned to write a paper.(250 words for most; 500 for me in an elite class.)

"Come on, let's play cards," this boy called.  I reminded him that we had to write a paper to be handed in Monday.  When he said he had already written his, I got permission to read it.  I was amazed; the paper wasn't even grammar school worthy.  Sentences were incomplete; words were misspelled; punctuation was absent, but worse the paper was nothing but babbling.  I gently suggested that he might want to re-write it, but he said he was pleased with it as was.

I wouldn't use his name if I remembered it, but this I will report -- he graduated with honors from. S. J. Peters High School in New Orleans. He flunked out of LSU after one semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment