Monday, January 14, 2013

Spilled my tea at Homer CofC banquet

Saw in the Guardian-Journal that the Homer Chamber of Commerce has scheduled its annual banquet January 28; it will be catered and tickets are $35 (wow)  each with capacity of 246.   The chamber banquets I attended were in the school cafeteria and were "catered" by the cafeteria staff.

Senator Russell Long was the speaker at an early banquet, perhaps the first.  I remember being a member of the group meeting him in Shreveport.  I didn't waste time, asking for help in getting an EDA grant to help us expand and improve our water system.  He called for the car to stop and I went to the second car to discuss my request with a senior aide.

The Homer Lions Club had performed the duties of a chamber and much of the leadership in organizing it came from that club.  For years Homer had an economic development organization, called the Homer Development Corporation, which bought and developed sites to attract industry.

My memory may be in error but I think the last time I attended a CofC  banquet was almost four decades ago.  Jen and I were guests and were seated at the head table.  I was surprised when asked to make a few remarks, so unnerved that I turned over my glass of tea.  Jen makes sure I don't forget it, and probably I have been too embarrassed to attend again.

Months later I was given an appointment to meet with federal officials in Fort Worth to apply for an EDA grant.   While I was there George Wallace held a political rally (he was running for president.)  The office closed for the rally although government workers were not among his supporters.  They were not friendly to me either, explaining that when a member of Congress requests EDA to consider an application for funds, the feds must make a written report on the meeting and the outcome.  This was not the only time EDA ignored an application from Homer.

No comments:

Post a Comment