Sunday, January 6, 2013

Remembering a real accomplishment

I noticed in the Guardian-Journal, Homer's weekly newspaper, that the town council has voted to increase water rates, including going from $6 to $7.15 a month for residential users.  Rates for waste water would also increase.

This brought to my mind the time when I was mayor that  we included within a bond issue an increase of water rates from $1.50 to $2.50 a month.  Together with a payment of $1,000 a month from Ludlow the bond issue was to finance major improvements to the water system.  I thought it was a great deal then and I am still convinced it was a great deal for the town, but an  electric utility,  which wanted our electric generating plant and distribution system,  held secret meetings and misinformed voters leading to a defeat by one or two votes.  We called for another vote and community leaders helped it pass overwhelmingly.

Improvements included l2-inch water lines throughout the town, 500,000 gallons of elevated water storage, 500,000 of ground level storage, complete automation of the system, lower fire insurance rates for everyone, and fire protection for Ludlow, which employed 200 workers.  Ludlow could not have continued to operate without those improvements.  Of all the many accomplishments the town had while I was mayor, I rate this the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment