Thursday, January 10, 2013

Let me hear from you

In the first decade after the end of World War II I when I read in the American Legion Magazine lists of reunions scheduled for military units and crew members of various ships I wondered  whether there would ever be a reunion for the crew of the USS Pickens.  I doubt there was such a reunion as all of us had to get on about our lives.  Today, because the son of a former crew member has made available much information saved by his father, I have through my blog  heard from some shipmates and families of shipmates.  I wish more could be reached.

On the last day of 2012 Betty Tippins sent me an e-mail of some memories her father, R. Tippins, has of the Pickens.  He told her he seemed to remember a collision involving the Pickens and another vessel.  I don't recall it, but it is understandable that we all remember different things. I can't expect anyone but me  to remember that the phones I manned at a debarkation station at Iwo Jima failed to work after performing perfectly during all our drills/

I enjoy being in contact with shipmates and their families.  Let me hear from any of you at any time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Roy.
    It's John White here. I've heard from a few family members as a result of your blog and have shared info/history/pictures with them as they do research or just want a connection with their father's lives (some living, some past).
    I believe it gives them a good feeling to see their father's name and/or photo in published material from WW2.
    Thanks for starting all of this. Glad I can contribute.
    I enjoy your blog and check it every once in a while for the great stories and insites.
    John
    jwhitegear@cox.net

    ReplyDelete