Friday, January 25, 2013

Cars to race in Pinewood Derby

Cub Scouts rate it up there with advancement and awards and camping trips -- the Pinewood Derby.  They will be able to display their colorful cars and race them several times Saturday.  Registration together with weighing and measuring will be accomplished this evening,  which will reduce the confusion -- but not the excitement -- Saturday morning.  Their families will be there to cheer them on and eat hot dogs.

I haven't had the hassle of helping a Cub build a car in a number of  years, but I miss the fun a little. Looking back, I estimate that I have built just a few less cars than Chevy has sold Volts.  Most years I was called on to build two, starting when my twin boys were six years old and in Indian Guides.  I had one free year, one where I worked on one car, and than it was back to two for my two youngest boys.

A grandson will be entering a car for the third year.  That has been his dad's responsibility, and they have built, painted and  decorated a car, even provided it with a driver.  Next, we'll see how fast it runs.  The cars will race several times, being clocked by an electronic timer, which was delivered Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment