Monday, December 10, 2012

Only two weeks to Christmas

Christmas is only two weeks away;   with "black Friday"  having been established as a insane shopping day, the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas has become a hectic, mad blur.  I don't remember it as always being that way.  In fact,  when I was a child, most people waited until Christmas Eve to do whatever limited shopping they were doing.  Stores might stay open past midnight to accommodate their customers. 

While I was attending LSU one Christmas season I came home for the holidays, planning to take care of a minimum amount of present buying.  I was ill with something like flu and had to postpone any shopping until the last minute.  I went into Minden with my brothers and went from store to store, unable to make decisions.  While in town I decided to take care some grocery shopping, but when I came out of the grocery store I only had two cans of pork and beans.  My family made fun of me for years.

When I got married the chore of Christmas shopping was taken over by my wife.  Thankfully, she actually enjoys doing it.  I don't know of anyone who doesn't agree that some of  the joy that should be part of Christmas has been lost in the stress of buying presents.  Thankfully, we have programs in the church that give us the opportunity to buy for people who have needs, and there are other organizations we can utilize to brighten Christmas for  others in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment