Thursday, September 27, 2012

Spending the night with Sophia Loren

Came across some negatives in a box in the garage, glanced at a few and concluded they were made at a luncheon and reception I had for industrialists in the Chicago area some 30-plus years ago. I can remember the photographer complaining about  "campaign contributions" he was forced to make in order to operate. He talked  about corruption in Illinois government and especially Chicago. His office was across the street from the small but fancy hotel where  my event was to be held.

Later the photographer's wife mentioned that Sophia Loren was staying at the hotel, asking me if I had seen her. She then said that if her husband slept with Sophia she would "give him that."  I remarked that I didn't think my wife would be that forgiving.

Remodeling was in progress and the large restaurant was closed, but the manager promised all work would be completed before our event was to be held.  She invited me to have dinner that night with some special guests, including Sophia Loren. I thanked her but said no. 

The reception and lunch a couple of weeks later was co-hosted by Senator Russell Long and was well attended by company executives.

But back to the earlier trip  to make the arrangements for the lunch and reception. I was telling Jen, my wife, about being invited to have dinner with Sophia Loren. "Did you?" she asked. I told her, "No, but  we spent the night  together."   Jen wasn't shocked for a second. (Doesn't it count -- we were at the same hotel at the same time?)

No comments:

Post a Comment