Sunday, August 12, 2012

Church 50th Anniversary Celebrated

We celebrated  the 50th anniversary of Christ United Methodist Church with an open house Saturday and church services Sunday morning. Twenty-five charter members were in the congregation, seven of  whom are still members.  Former pastors and their families were recognized, including Mrs. Oscar Cloyd, wife of the first pastor.  The observance concluded with lunch being served to more than 400.

As I look back over my many years of attending church special observances, I can't recall whether all were reunions or any marked a particular anniversary.  One that will always be in my memory, though faint, because I was about six at the time, was  when the Lowe families had a reunion in keeping with a special celebration at Bethlehem Methodist Church.

The church building also served as a school which my dad attended in his early years.  He was able to show me his initials carved into the back of a pew.  His cousin was the only teacher for the school.

I can almost see the piano player, a short chubby man, as he pounded on the keys.  I heard for the first time the hymn "Life's evening sun is sinking low; a few more days and I must go."  Every time I hear that song I remember that reunion and that church.  (The actual title of the song is "A Beautiful Life."

No comments:

Post a Comment