Monday, July 23, 2012

I want singing by the congregation

I don't go to church to be entertained; I want to participate as much as possible in the service.  That is usually limited to joining in the Lord's Prayer and a selection of readings, and especially congregational singing.  After missing two Sundays I was looking forward to services but was disappointed  that our opening hymn was not only strange to everyone but also complicated.  Our only other song was "He Touched Me," a favorite.

 We are looking forward to the celebration of the church's 50th anniversary with plans for 400 for lunch and some 500 attending the Sunday worship service.  This would be a  great opportunity renew acquaintances and join in an hour or more of  the congregation singing familiar hymns, giving the church some life and even fire. Instead, the plans are for music to come from selected groups.  I like music presented by talented groups as much as anybody, but I would prefer at least part of the time devoted to congregational singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment