Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Runner-up in Rooster fighting

When I was in high school, the state required four years of physical education to graduate, and in grammar school we had periods of supervised physical activity.  One activity I remember was rooster fighting. That involves folding arms across the chest and hitting your opponent with your shoulder.

In a particular class the teacher had us draw two big circles on the ground, one for  the boys and the other for the girls.  It was natural for the largest boys to immediately go at each other.  I used quick movements and trickery and soon we were down to me and another boy.  I let him push me to the edge of  the ring, moved aside and nudged him from the ring, becoming champion.

Oh, but the game wasn't yet over; the teacher matched me against the champion of the girls.  My opponent was a big, busty girl, my head reaching only to her bosom..  She struck me with her shoulder; I moved back, and she hit me again.  I declined to strike her with my shoulder and was quickly pushed out of the ring, leaving her as class champion and me the object of boos and catcalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment