Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I wasn't riding the bull

Although I have had several serious illnesses and a number of  bad injuries, only twice in my life have I thought for sure I had only minutes to live.  Obviously, I was wrong, thankfully.  Here is one of those times.

As my   wife and I discussed the many events we have coming up in May, including  Mother's Day, she observed that it was 25 years ago I had the  Mother's Day from hell..  Several of us were celebrating the day with Mama when I grabbed an axe and went to cut  some young slender tallow trees to use to stake tomatoes.   The women were on the front porch watching, as was my second youngest son Josh, as I attempted to go through a group of cows.  Among those cows was a Polled Hereford bull which had been raised as a pet from the time he was a baby calf. He had never shown signs of violemce befpre but suddenly he realized he was a bull and not a child  He hit me, knocked me high into  the air.  I fell on a piece of tin and now the fun started. He hit ,me in the ribs with his huge head and, using all of his 800 pounds, mashed me and ground me.  I felt I had only moments befpre my insides were crushed. My brother came with a curved fork and challenged the bull who then left me for a new target.

My brother  Jon  sold the bull the next morning.  We all were afraid that Mama, 83 at the time, would go out and try to pet him, thinking since he had never acted this way before I must had done something to get him angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment