Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Time for the Shovel and the Lawn Mower

The sun is shining and our spring continues although the official end of winter is two weeks away.  I have been hearing lawn mowers going for the past two or three weeks, but mine continues its hibernation.  The weeds and ugly grasses have overwhelmed the lawn, but I am helpless to do anything about them.

Home Depot and Lowe's are pushing their vegetable and flower plants although it is a little early because a killing frost is possible since the average date for that in this area is March 13. And, I have heard all my life that "we always get a cold spell around Easter."  I used to argue that Easter came early some years than it did at others, but, no matter, people continued to believe the cold spell was certain.

In our gardening we planted some vegetables such as onions, radishes and beets in January or February, with other vegetables following depending upon their most favorable temperatures.  In many areas of the country it is customary to plant the entire garden on or near Good Friday. I knew a man in Homer who followed this religiously and successfully.  I never got him to agree that it would make more sense to plant at the same time each spring no matter when Good Friday came. Dates won't matter to me; I can't expect to do any gardening, but I will insist on putting a few tomato lants in the flower bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment