Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Sunday we walked out of the church

If I walk out of church because I disagree with what is being said from the pulpit, it won't be the first time. This happened when I was a young kid and at Bethel  Methodist Church, a little church all alone in the area we called the flatwoods.

Obviously, my memory is not perfectly clear, but I remember a man who was not the pastor and not a member of the church took the pulpit and began talking.  He had got so far as to saying, "my wife took the low road and I took the high road,"  when Daddy got up, moved  to each child and said, "Let's go,:" and we went.  (Mama was not at church; probably at home with a new baby.)

That afternoon a cousin visiting from Waldo teased us by saying the entire congregation was talking about us.  

I never knew the whole story about the visitor, only that daddy said he was a crook.  I know that church is for sinners but that doesn't mean just anything should come from the pulpit.

No comments:

Post a Comment