Friday, February 17, 2012

Still time to plant your Irish potatoes

Another Valentine's Day has come and gone without me planting Iris potatoes.  If you are worried that it is getting too late to plant potatoes, no it's not, although during my rural life that was our goal. 

I have planted Irish potatoes at least twice in the past decades since I left  the  farm, a few once in my little garden here and a sizeable patch once back on the farm while living here. 

If the ground is not too wet to be worked, vegetable gardening begins in January with setting out onion plants. We have not had a winter so far and sunshine most days makes me unhappy that I cannot spade some ground and prepare a garden spot.  Giving up gardening hurts me worse than giving up coffee would bother me. This will be only my second year without any garden at all but I'm already to the point that I would need to check a book to be sure of the right planting times for vegetables.

I won't forget the right time to plant cotton  -- that's when chinaberries bloom.  I doubt seriously I'll have a cotton crop this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment