Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A salute to the late Joe Michael.

Joe Michael, a long-time friend and a former mayor of Homer, died this week at 88 years of age.  I met Joe only hours after I went to Homer as editor of the Guardian-Journal.  He operated a men's clothing store and also officiated at football and basketball games.  I was friends with his four sister and his brothers, especially Edd and James Robert.

Joe served 20 years as Homer mayor.  I had served the town eight years, two as mayor pro-tem and six as mayor.  Although I had presented an ambitious program for the next four years, I decided I could not commit to that much more time and did not seek re-election.  Dr. Tatum ran unopposed but died soon after taking office; Joe served out that term and was elected on his own. I haven't seen Joe in years; I used to see him when I was in economic development and took clients to Homer.  Another good man has left us.

No comments:

Post a Comment