Saturday, December 10, 2011

Remembering a toy I did not receive

Remember the Christmas story of the boy who wanted an air rifle?  My story is similar to his, except he got the gun and I did not,  As much as I desired the air rifle I never told anyone directly.

One of the most enjoyed Christmas gifts I ever received was a three-year subscription to the magazine, "The American Boy."  It was a gift from a cousin, Prentiss Lowe, who was a generation older.  The back cover of the magazine was an ad for  Daisy air rifles.  It illustrated the Red Ryder, but it also advertised a Daisy rifle that sold for one dollar.  The ad advised leaving the magazine around where parents could see it and get the idea to buy it.  I would leave the magazine around with the ad on top, but no one got the message.

When my twins became old enough, no more than five, I made sure that they got an air rifle for Christmas.

Looking back, I am convinced that stories about naval midshipmen first got me thinking about the navy, including attending the Naval Academy.  That ambition was seemingly impossible; yet, when I was offered a fleet appointment I turned it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment