Tuesday, November 22, 2011

So that's why he said New York was dangerous

Most of my many industrial prospecting trips were for one week; I'd leave Sunday afternoon and return Sunday night. However, I took two weeks to call on companies in South and North Carolina, and once I attended he apparel show in Atlantic City and went on to spend a week in New York before going home. 

I was on that particular trip to New York that I met with the owner of a company  that made a top line of women's dresses.  His plant was located in California and he was looking to move and/or expand.  We met in his hotel suite, and he remarked that when he had business in New York City that he never left the hotel. "New York is a dangerous place," he said.

Some weeks after my meeting with this prospect, we read a long article about him, that his Cadillac had been found abandoned and he was missing.  Further, he was in the FBI witness protection program and had been established as a garment manufacturer.  As far as I know, he was never heard from again.  Yes, he had a reason to fear New York.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's crazy! You really met some interesting people doing all that traveling.

    ReplyDelete