Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A pleasant navy memory -- visit to D.C. and Baltimore

While still attached to the USS Pickens and  awaiting orders to send us home, a shipmate and I took a bus to Washington D.C. We admired the cherry blossoms and took a guided tour of the capitol.  Security at that time was unobtrusive and minimal if it existed at all.  Later we caught a bus and traveled by graveled road to Baltimore.

We got a hotel room and took in the city sights, shortly arriving at a place where a dance was going on. Neither of us danced but we soon were enjoying the company of a group of girls,   spending most of our time with two.  The girls offered to buy us a beer but we declined. (Girls could buy beer at 18 but uniformed servicemen had to be 21. Some fairness, huh.)

Closing time came and my pal kept the room key because my girl lived a distance away.  We took a bus, transferred to another, and then walked several blocks.  The girl was concerned that I get to the bus stop before the bus stopped running. As we entered her house, she said, "You can stay a little while but I don't want you to miss the bus."  When we entered the house we saw her sister and boyfriend on the sofa. They said it was time for him to go and he could take me to the place where I could catch the bus that would take me all the way back downtown.

When I arrived  at the hotel, my buddy was not there.  While I waited I was pestered by women who were drinking a  perfumed liquor ando who tried to get me to drink.  I  didn't give in. What a good boy I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment