Thursday, November 3, 2011

My sad attempt to roller skate

During the days we were still on the Pickens at Norfolk, waiting impatiently for travel orders, I asked some friends why they went skating so often.  They gave me the magic word -- girls.  That sounded good to me and I visited the skating rink.  Before I could skate holding a girl's hand I had to learn to skate. I rented a pair of skates; the boy put the first one on; I tried to stand and hit the deck.  I fell again when the second skate was put on the other foot, and I fell and fell for hours.

The rink had a railing beginners could hang on to, so there I was walking on skates along with little boys and girls about five or six years old. I lasted several hours but gave it up as hopeless and never visited the rink again. I had better luck in Baltimore, but not at a skating rink.

No comments:

Post a Comment