Monday, October 31, 2011

This is what I think is a sad story, Jessica

Jessica told me that she had caught up with stories on my blog and was unhappy that my stories appear to end happily at first but then turn sad..  She gave an example of the mule we sold who found its way back home giving a child joy, only to be saddened when the mule had to be returned to the buyer. 

I said that I decided long ago that if I ever wrote my biography I would ignore the really unhappy times. For example, I explained, I could relate things that happened in the second half of the first grade when I had a teacher that hated me.  Once we had a childish assignment, drawing lines connecting words with pictures.  (At the time I had read books like "The Last of the Mohicans" and "Don Quixote.)  When we were done she told us to erase all lines and do it again.  My pencil eraser was no good and it tore the paper.  I gave up and drew lines all across the paper.  She ridiculed and  punished me.  She got in the final blow when we turned in our readers; I had to pay the cost to buy a new book when the one I had been issued didn't have a back, was torn, and was written in. My parents learned that teachers did this to supplement their salary.

No comments:

Post a Comment