Tuesday, October 25, 2011

On seeing my plaque for mayor of year

A few days ago I ran across a plaque that commemorated me being named Mayor of the Year for 1968.  I don't know where the plaque had been nor why it surfaced but it caused me to remember some of the many accomplishments for Homer that year.  In the future I will list those I remember.

There's another question I should answer first. Why the heck was I mayor in the first place?  After all, I was editor of the local newspaper, thus a member of the "Fourth Estate" and responsible to represent the people and keep government honest.  Six years before some Jaycees who had become interested in politics wanted to run for town council, but they would run only if I would.  I finally acceded and was the leading vote getter. One of the Jaycees was one of the five elected.  I served as finance chairman and deputy mayor. Two years later I had determined not to run for re-election but was pressured by businessmen and town leaders to run for mayor.  I won and two years later was unopposed for mayor for a four-year term.  I had attended council meetings for years as editor and had seen how inefficient two-year terms were so we left it to the voters and they approved a change to four years.  I'll have more to say later.














No comments:

Post a Comment