Sunday, July 3, 2011

Here's wishing a happy and safe July Fourth to everyone.

Don't forget to fly your flag!

I've been trying to remember the July Fourths of my youth.  Some joyful times we went fishing, always on Dorcheat bayou. I even remember the first fish I caught, a small perch.  When the cork went under I jerked the pole up so hard and high the fish, hook and line ended up in a tree.

Most Fourths we ended with  hand-cranked freezer of ice cream.  Of course, the prime watermelon season was upon us and we enjoyed those.  I've also spent July Fourth plowing or hoeing if we were behind with the crops. For 20 years I edited a weekly paper and we only took the Fourth as a holiday if it came on Friday or Saturday. If it fell on the early days of the week we would work and take a weekend day for the holiday.

Speaking of  flags earlier, I wonder the Homer American Legion Post still posts flags around the square on holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment