Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Yes, I really did break a window at school.

I guess it was really the glass on a door.  Have you ever known someone who hated you and you have no idea why?  A boy who lived two or three miles from us, rode the same school bus, and played sports with us, did mean things to me just out of the blue.  Once we were playing baseball and I hit a home run (at last  I kept running around the bases) and as I got to home plate breathing hard, he hit me on my nose, flattening my nostrils and leaving me gasping for air.  Oh, by the way, he was three or four years older than I and much larger.

One morning shortly after we got off the school bus and was waiting for the bell to ring, he started throwing rocks at me. He ran to stand in front of a school door that had about 14 inches of steel at the bottom and top and small glass panes.  I threw a rock back to him, trying to make it hit the concrete in front of the door and hopefully bounce and hit him.  It  bounced all right, cracking a bottom pane.  He ran and told the principal I was throwing rocks at him and broke the door.  I was summoned to the principal's office and he refused to listen when I admitted breaking the glass but that the other boy started if for no reason.  The principal said I was a liar, that the other boy was too good and nice to do such a thing.  He threatened to expel me but I managed to escape that but was punished in other ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment